Friday, February 27, 2009

Teen Self-Care in the Age of YouTube


Annalena mentioned last night that she's taken to watching this video every morning -- that if she watches Smokey Robinson and The Miracles sing The Tracks of My Tears, she has a good day. I think back to when she was a baby and discovered the comfort of her thumb to sooth herself through the night. I don't know how she found this video or what exactly about it she finds sustaining, but on a non-linear level, it makes all the sense in the world. The lyrics of the song transcend time, not to mention the suave dance moves. How wonderful that YouTube makes this wisdom of the ages accessible to teenagers in 2009.

3 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Great song.

Lisa said...

Plus there's something comforting, as a parent, in knowing your kid has such good musical taste, isn't there? I remember a couple of years ago when my son was 19, poking around on his iPod and seeing that he had Kind of Blue on it -- and somehow that was so validating that I had, in fact, been a good mother.

Gina Hyams said...

Golly, this is the first time a gorilla has commented on my blog. Welcome.

...and, yes, Lisa, it's true. It's amazing to think that I've known you online long enough that your son has grown from boy to man. I still so admire and aspire to your mid-life crisis red furniture.