Thursday, November 20, 2008

Aaron Neville Kicks Off Holiday Tour at Mahaiwe



Annalena and I went to the mall yesterday in search of a homecoming dance dress (alas, I'm not finding the winning Forever 21 strapless, black and gray-striped, silk bubble dress online to show you...14 year olds are the only creatures with any business wearing such a confection and junior rocks it). Anyway, it's already Christmas at the mall. Normally, I abstain from holiday music until December 1st, but given the economy, I don't begrudge the merchants for trying to stir up some early cheer.

I'm also making an exception to the no Christmas music before December 1st rule for Aaron Neville, who kicks off his Creole-spiced solo holiday tour on Friday, November 28st, 8pm at the Mahaiwe in Great Barrington. Backed by a quintet that features his brother Charles Neville on sax, Aaron’s show will focus on classics from his albums, Christmas Prayer and Soulful Christmas, alongside hits from throughout his five decades-long career. Click here for tickets.

I'm especially looking forward to hearing him sing songs from his recent album, Bring It on Home...The Soul Classics. Aaron says on his website, "These classic songs have been pumping blood to my heart from the first second I heard them. They've been a part of my life. Singing them, especially in the aftermath of Katrina, was a deeply spiritual experience. They helped me get through. They gave me hope. And for me, music has always been about hope."

No comments: